Friday, March 11, 2011

AUSTRIA

I am proud of my native Austria, and I love Vienna. Thus, I did everything I could to keep Vienna as the shining capital of Austria. However, by the entry of World War I, even I realized that Austria was a dying power, just like the Ottoman Empire. I was an excellent politician and I quickly realized that Austria would not make it much longer. And I was right. A few idiots that somehow came to power was supported by Germany's blank check after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (who was actually quite a distasteful old man). They were heavily involved with the start of World War I, a war that Austria didn't win. In fact, we didn't even survive through the war. Austria-Hungary was divided into multiple kingdoms, and lands that originally belonged to us were paritioned to other countries such as Poland. Austria, to quote the eminent teacher-historian Mrs. Clark, was already the "sick old man of Europe". The grand kingdom of the Habsburgs became a second-rate power, one that was completely ignored at large gatherings of international powers. And then, in World War II, that odious Hitler simply marched in and annexed Austria with no trouble at all. And the League of Nations just let him do it! We were no longer important to Europe and if we were to be the sacrificial lamb of Hitler, then it was apparently worth it to sacrifice us to appease Hitler. Oh of course, the powers like France and England "denounced" it but they couldn't walk the talk.
These days, I hear Austria is a good tourist destination. That's what we were reduced to.

No comments:

Post a Comment